Janary 10, 2005
©2005 DFA Consulting, Inc.
||DFA Consulting, Inc.
15851 N. Dallas Parkway, Suite 500
Addison, Texas 75001
(972) 450-6555 ~ fax
Tips for Responding to Job
- Tell us your name! Preferably your first AND last.
Also tell us how to get in contact with you via phone, USPS address,
- If you are going to use a public email service (i.e.
yahoo), don't let your mailbox fill up so we cannot respond to
If your resume and background meet our requirements, DFA's will
contact you, so if you do not hear back
from us, you've probably filled-up the quota for your inbox.
- Put a subject line in your email. i.e. what
position(s) you are applying for rather than something like "Resume of
John Doe". You will reduce the amount of pre-screening time by telling
us what position you feel you are qualified for.
- If you hold a degree, please state when and where you
received that degree.
- Send a resume! (with preferably a cover
- Don't send a cover letter and ask prospective employers
to request a resume from you - just send your resume. We will need to
see your detailed skill set.
- Don't send a URL of where we can get your resume.
Sometimes your security keeps us out of your website and we cannot view
- Don't put your resume in PDF or HTML format - use MS
Word or a text file. Some of our Web-based response systems require we
cut and paste sections of your resume into them.
- On your resume, identify the geographic locations along
with the companies you've worked at.
- Keep your resume to a maximum of 3-4 pages. The most
significant things you have done that we are interested in probably
have taken place in the past five years.
- Avoid presumptuous statements like "I'm THE best" or "I
AM the perfect person for this position . Please allow us to make that
- Avoid unprofessional statements like "that was the
slickest software you've ever seen" or "whoohoo, I can do this job".
- If you are applying for an out-of-town position, please
state whether you will relocate, AND… if our ad states there is no
relocation assistance, whether you are willing to take that financial
- If you suspect you are working with another firm for the
same position, please tell us! The typical result is YOU will be the
one to lose. Regardless of your qualifications, our clients typically
will not even proceed if they see your resume presented by multiple
companies for the same position.
- Tell us your work status. If you are working on some
kind of work Visa, for example (i.e. H1B), please be upfront about that.